Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Beauty Comes From Within...

I love trying out new beauty products, whether we are talking makeup, skincare or haircare. But something I really believe is that you also need to look after yourself on the inside in order to make the most of yourself.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am no saint. I do not live in the gym, and I like nibbling chocolate in front of the TV and going out for a few cheeky cocktails as much as the next girl. But I do like to do some things to try and counteract all those naughty little things I do to myself, and to just generally feel good, as well as benefitting my hair, skin and nails.


Green Tea



I drink absolutely buckets of this stuff. I used to drink a lot of coffee, but I went through a stage of having panic attacks and found that caffeine tended to set me off a bit, so I swapped it for green tea. Now, I only have a coffee every once in a while. I have always liked green tea, and find it to have a pretty neutral, refreshing taste on it's own, but it's available in lots of flavours. My favourite is this Orange and Lotus Flower flavour, from Twinings.
So, why drink green tea? Well, it's full of anti-oxidants, for a start. On top of this, drinking three to five cups a day is said to speed up the metablolism - whoopee! Well, it can't hurt, can it?
Other benefits are that it apparently helps to lower cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular diease and cancers, slows down signs of aging and boosts the immune system.
What's not to love?


Extra Virgin Coconut Oil


Word on the street is that Organic Coconut oil is great for your hair and skin, helps to fight off a number of health conditions, keeps your blood sugar stable and your metabolism running high. In fact, this delicious-tasting stuff is an all round good egg, because it also improves digestion and provides a quick source of energy, as well as a whole host of other things. And there are A LOT. If you would like to see the full list, then you can do so here.
I usually take a couple of tablespoons of this each day, more often than not at breakfast time. It actually tastes really pleasant, so I just take it on it's own, but you could also use it for cooking by exchanging it with your usual cooking oil, or you can put it on salads or in smoothies. You can also rub this stuff into your nails and it will help to lock in moisture, making them lovely and strong and healthy.
Your call. If you are still thinking that this is not really your bag, then here are some celebrities who love the stuff:
Angelina Jolie
Denise Richards
Gisele Bundchen
Miranda Kerr.

You can get your hands on some of this stuff by going to a health food shop, such as Holland and Barrett. You can also find it in big supermarkets, but just make sure it's organic.


Chia Seeds and Linseed


These bad boys are both packed with Omega 3, and let's face it, we could all do with a bit more of that. Omega 3 helps keep the brain and heart healthy, as well as helping with weight maintenance and giving us glowing skin, strong,shiny hair and healthy nails!
Both are also great sources of slow-release energy, and Chia seeds, when wet, swell and form a kind of 'gel'. Imagine them doing that in your stomach and it's easy to see why they keep you fuller for longer.
I usually have about two teaspoons of Chia and one of Linseed in my morning yoghurt.


Organic Apple Cider Vinegar



Mix this with honey and you've got an energising tonic as well as a healing Elixir.
Personally, I take two cap-fulls diluted in a glass of water every day, usually after lunch. You can put a teaspoon of honey in to sweeten it if you can't stand the taste, and remember to clean your teeth after finishing this drink to get rid of any excess acid hanging around in your mouth, as it could damage your teeth otherwise.
Apple Cider Vinegar helps with digestion and keeps blood sugar stable, and it's loaded with Potassium, to help treat brittle nails, teeth and hair. It also has properties which counteract free radicals and help to break down fat. Again, though, you must go organic to get the full health benefits.
The lovely Alex over at The Wallflower also recently shared a hair conditioning tip with me, which is to spritz the hair with Apple Cider Vinegar and leave it for a couple of minutes before washing. I am looking forward to giving that one a try this week, and hope it goes better than the time when I was ten and rinsed my hair with Malt Vinegar. I smelled of the stuff for a week!



Now, I know there will be a lot of skeptics out there, and I have to admit that even I am not sure if these things really 'do what they say on the tin', as most of the work goes on inside the body, where we can't see it. But I do know it makes me feel better to think that I am trying to do something positive for my body, and I generally feel better in myself and more uplifted when using these products. I don't know about you guys, but I would rather go for a natural product over a chemical one any day of the week, having seen first hand what terrible things those chemicals can do to us. I lost a family member due to a blood disorder triggered by strong antibiotics, and since then, I am very reluctant to take any medication unless I have to. Whenever I feel a cold coming on, or I feel a bit sick, I reach straight for the herbal remedies. Yes, ok, I love my makeup and hair/skincare products and couldn't go without them, but ingesting something is another thing.

Hope everyone is having a delightful day!

xx






4 comments:

  1. I LOVE green tea. I've never tried any of the other stuff though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for name dropping me, my dear!
    i'm actually a HUGE raving fan of green tea -- i buy loose leaf organic from my local whole foods! i've always hated coffee -- but green tea is definately my addiction.
    i've been thinking of doing a post on it, as well!
    take care :)

    -alexandra
    http://alexisinodak.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post!
    I am a huge lover of green tea! :)

    Natasha Carly
    http://prettylittlelives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Me too, I love the stuff, and I feel so much better for drinking so much of it!
      xx

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I read every last word and love hearing your views! It really brightens up my day.

For all PR enquiries, please contact me at: melswallofmirrors@yahoo.co.uk