Monday, August 20, 2012

Baking: Banana Bread


At the weekend, I finally got round to doing some baking, so I thought I'd share this simple recipe for Banana Bread with you. It's a great way to use up any left over or over-ripe bananas that you might have hanging around your kitchen, is super fast and easy, and it is literally the perfect partner for a nice cup of tea.
For those of you who are not familiar with banana bread, in spite of the name, it's really more of a cake.
The recipe I used was not one which uses traditional British measures, quite simply because I didn't have any scales or a measuring jug to hand, so I just measured out my ingredients using a tea mug. Usually, you would use a smaller cup, but I wanted to make a slightly bigger cake, and I've always had great success making 'guesstimate' cakes before!

Ingredients:
4 small ripe bananas
1/3 cup of unsalted butter (I used margarine)
3/4 cup of demerara sugar
1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1 egg, beaten

Method:
1. Pop your butter into a pan to melt, and while you're waiting, peel and mash the bananas using a fork.
2. Pour the melted butter and bananas into a large mixing bowl and combine until smooth.
3. Stir in your beaten egg and your sugar.
4. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, sift in the flour and then fold it in using a metal spoon. Remember, you want to put air into the mixture, so don't stir it around and around - this will have the opposite effect.
5. Grease the baking tray with a little margerine or butter, pour in your mixture and pop it in the oven for 15-20mins at 180.
6. Remove from the oven, cut into slices and settle down on the sofa with a large chunk and a big cup of tea.        Enjoy!



Not the best photos as I took them on my phone in artificial light, but hopefully you can get the idea of how scrummy this was anyway!
This was a bit of a different post from me, so I hope you enjoyed it. Let's face it, we all love cake, so I'm assuming it'll be most people's cup of tea.....oh dear, do excuse the pun!

Have you done any baking recently? What did you make?


xx


16 comments:

  1. I actually just made a loaf of banana bread. Its my favorite! This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, isn't it. Mine didn't last long at all, I feel like making another one now. If you have any other favourite recipes then let me know, I'd love some new ones to try out :)xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    http://mesmemosphotoblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was planning on making banana bread this weekend but I never got round to it but this post has re-inspired me although I think I might be naughty and add some milk chocolate buttons!

    Alice
    shinyprettythings-alice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds ah-mazing, why did I not think of that!?
      I have got the baking bug back now so let me know if you've got any yummy recipes which I need to try!xx

      Delete
  4. I love banana bread never made it at home but we do at work sometimes, it's so yummy and your's looks delicious
    Vanessa
    xx
    http://nessi1988.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, where do you work? Sounds pretty good! :)xx

      Delete
  5. Why am I reading this when I'm hungry! So yummy! Lovely post and such a simple recipe x

    themaibug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, it really is so quick and easy, well worth a go!xx

      Delete
  6. I love baking but I can't make anything rise properly to save my life so my attempt at this is going to be banana flatbread haha! Great that you've posted the recipe too - I'm going to come back to this and print it off :)

    Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one rose surprisingly easily, I just used self-raising flour, but you could always pop a bit of baking powder in. To be honest though, I think the key is not opening the oven to check on it unless you absolutely have to, and also to make sure you fold in the flour rather than mix it in :)xx

      Delete
  7. I'm not a fan of banana bread but this looks gorgeous. My best friend loves it and she has been having a rough time so i might nab this recipe and make it for her :)

    LaceyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a really lovely idea hun, you should! Your friend is lucky to have a thoughtful friend like you. Plus, this recipe is so yummy that I'm sure it'll convert you! :) xx

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, I have enjoyed this post!! This looks so delicious! It amazes me how easy it is to make. Thank you so much for sharing. Definitely going to try this and I bet it'll be delicious! :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Alice (who commented above) suggested popping in some chocolate buttons, which I am DEFINITELY going to try next time! Yum. Let me know if you do give this a try!xx

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I read every last word and love hearing your views! It really brightens up my day.

For all PR enquiries, please contact me at: melswallofmirrors@yahoo.co.uk